A ban for people coming from the Australian Capital Territory into Queensland will be lifted.
The Sunshine State will remove a hotspot declaration covering the ACT on Friday, September 25.
The capital territory has not had a COVID-19 case in 10 weeks, but had been included in the Queensland hotspot declaration covering all of New South Wales.
“We are announcing today that we will lift border restrictions for the ACT from 1am next Friday,” Deputy Premier Steven Miles said on Friday.
“We’ve been saying for some time now that, for Queenslanders, Queensland is good to go.
“Now for Canberrans, Queensland is good to come.”
Miles said the move would coincide with school holidays in the ACT.
ACT residents will be able to come into Queensland without undergoing hotel quarantine, if they have not been in a declared hotspot for 14 days.
Visitors must declare to Queensland authorities, upon their arrival, that they have not been in a hotspot in the past two weeks.
A false declaration would attract a $4001 fine.
People who drive from the ACT to Queensland through NSW will be turned away at the border due to being considered to have been in a hotspot.
The announcement comes just over a week after Canberra woman Sarah Caisip was denied a border exemption to attend her father’s funeral in Brisbane.
In the case, which sparked intense criticism of the Queensland government, Caisip, 26, was eventually granted permission to view her father’s body – alone and dressed in full PPE – after the funeral on September 10.
Queensland recorded no new cases of COVID-19 overnight.
The state has 25 active patients with the disease.
Credit: 7 NEWS